Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Corset Masochism

One of the three waist training corsets I ordered came in yesterday. Although it's beautiful white satin and twill (on the inside) with incredible construction, I have to return it for an exchange. They sent me the wrong one. I am half-tempted to keep this one and reorder the other but the other problem is the one which came in is an underbust corset. I decided to get the longer corsets which also cover the bust area so I won't need to also wear a bra.

Now, a reminder: this whole thing started during my research of scarification. Waist reduction is something also mentioned in the research I dug up.  Here's four of the books I bought as part of my research:
Modern Primitives :  An Investigation of Contemporary Adornment & Ritual  RE/Search Publications
Decorated Skin:  A World Survey of Body Art by Karl Groning.
A Brief History of the Evolution of Body Adornment in Western Culture:  Ancient Origins and Today by Blake Andrew Perlingieri
Modcon: The Secret World of Extreme Body Modification by Shannon Larratt

I want to mention two relatively modern extreme examples of the waist reduction I have planned for myself. I don't plan to do more than about five inches but these folks are mention-worthy. I cannot post photos of them because I do not have any I have rights to publish--online or otherwise.

The first is Fakir Musafar. At one point, his waist was fourteen inches due to waist reduction. He used steel bands and hand-made corsets, and reported that he wore a waist belt for thirty years. His inspiration was one from the men of the Ibitoe tribe in New Guinea.

The second person is Ethel Granger. Her waist reduction was due to the use of corsets. By age 40, her waist was thirteen inches--just enough room for her spine. She began her extreme waist reduction at the request of her dominating husband. She also worked in a corset shop. She died at age 86, having lived a healthy life. She was in the Guiness Book of  World Records for a long time.

So, what's with the title of this post?  Corset Masochism is the term used for extreme waist reduction via corsetry. If done to the extreme, it can be a painful process at the start. As I said before, I don't intend to go that far and I intend to achieve results slowly.

Tomorrow:  why do people choose corset masochism?

1 comment:

Carrie Lynn Barker said...

Interesting subject! I looked up Ethel Granger and wow! People say my waist is small.