Thursday, November 12, 2015

Day 12 of NANOWRIMO: Catching up, word count, and short excerpt.

There's been a lot going on with family and my caregiving responsibilities so I missed a few days writing. Today I made 2,309 so my NANOWRIMO total's up to 15,547. I'm still behind but not as bad as this morning. Grin. There's nothing like a scene of someone possessed to spur a writer on.

Here's a little excerpt (after the event):

It took Amara a moment to realize he meant ‘possessed’. She had to stifle a laugh.

“So, you put the trucks and cars under there in case you needed them later?”

“I guess,” he said. “When she talks funny I don’t want her to see them.”

“Why not?”

“Because she takes them away or smashes them…like she did that.” He pointed at the demolished CD player.

“Oh, okay. So what happened to make you get under there too?”

“I said…Abeni talked funny again. You didn’t listen.”

“What did she say? Did she call you names?”

“I don’t know. She talked like a rapper but didn’t make the dance or hands.” He did a couple of quick moves to demonstrate.

He was so cute, Amara again had to conceal her smile. “What song did she rap?”

Taiwo shrugged.

“Was it on the CD?” She pointed to the CD still sticking in the ceiling plaster. It’s silvery surface shone in the bedroom light.

“Heck no.”

She didn’t ask him anything else because he returned to playing with his tow truck.

Just then Salazar leaned his head in. “Paramedics are here. I’ll send them on up.”

No comments: